This month our Trefoil ladies visited Ford Green Hall, Smallthorne. The original timber–framed structure, built as a farmhouse in 1624 for Hugh Ford a wealthy yeoman farmer, has been gradually altered as each generation has adapted to changing needs and fashions. We had an interesting insight into the lifestyle of the period from a gentleman dressed in the attire of the age. He explained materials used to build the hall are wherever possible used today to carry out necessary repairs. The rooms are furnished with outstanding collections of needlework, ceramics and furniture.
The hall is now operated by a Charitable Organisation led by volunteers and members of the local community. Our members then enjoyed a scrumptious buffet and further free time to enjoy the Hall again at leisure. An 18th Century dovecote shares the status of the listed building of the main farmhouse stands in the grounds, which backs on to a Nature Reserve.